Since I am new in the fashion blogosphere, and my company is fairly new, I want to gauge the interest in what we at ShopVintageous do (which is preserve, save and provide second and third lives to vintage designer items). So, I decided I would do a giveaway to make some friends! Lets start with what you will win.....you will get your choice of any one item worth up to $50 on the store's Store Envy page…
Keeping a Healthy Body Despite Busy Schedule
It seems that in today’s world, not one person is immune to the hustle and bustle of everyday life. People find themselves to be busier than ever, and possibly as a correlation, decreasingly healthy. The level of obesity throughout the world is ever-increasing, and people are looking for more and more ways to integrate healthy into their busy schedules. Although it may seem difficult, following these tips will allow busy individuals to find time for healthy practices.
1. Eat a healthy breakfast every morning: The cliché that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” may actually help kick-start your morning in a healthy way. Although you may say “I am not a breakfast eater and therefore will not do so”, you may want to rethink this choice. One great benefit of eating breakfast in the morning is that it will start your metabolism going, allowing your body to more actively start to burn calories. If you are sure to choose healthy breakfast selections, you will also feel more motivated to make healthier decisions throughout the day.
2. Make fidgeting a daily habit: Some readers may feel that they do not have time to get a workout in because they are too busy. Are we also too busy to fidget? No, we are not! No matter what you are doing, whether you are sitting at your desk for work, driving to the grocery store, or sitting and folding laundry, you can be burning extra calories at a time that you would otherwise be largely idle. This will increase your metabolism while also burning extra calories throughout the day.
3. Always carry your water bottle with you: Water is arguably the basis of life. We need it to live, and we also need larger quantities of it if we want to be healthier. No matter where you go, always make sure that you leave one destination to go to another with a full water bottle. There are several advantages that are associated with drinking large amounts of water. The first is that drinking large amounts of water will increase your metabolism and burn more calories throughout the day. It will also make you feel fuller, which will in turn make you less inclined to eat junk food to fill your stomach. Lastly, it make skin look clearer and fresher. It will help to rid your face of acne and other blemishes that would otherwise intrude your pores.
4. Make time for your health: As much as we all think that we are too busy for the things that aren’t necessary, you can make time for those things that you make a priority. It is unlikely that anyone would argue that your health should not be a top priority, and therefore it is important that we make time for our health. Take anywhere for a half hour to an hour each day to spend exercising. This can be done at the gym, outside, or in your living room doing body weight exercises. No matter what form of exercise you choose, make time for some.
Author Pam Johnson is a nurse who uses her knowledge of health to keep herself fit in spite of the hectic work schedule that comes along with nursing. Pam obtained her degree from one of the many Accelerated Nursing Degree Programs
I have been diggin’ polenta lately I can’t get enough. I have been buying Melissa’s polenta in all different flavors, but my favorite is Italian.
To make it simply mash the polenta, or throw it into your blender, then put it in a hot pan with oil, then add a little rice cheese (I used Rice Dreams) and some almond or flax milk until you get that creamy texture, then add your desired spices ( I use salt pepper, and Emeril’s Essence) let it cook up and enjoy!
6 Ways To Help You Be Healthy At All Times
Good health is important to a high quality of life. If you are a person who wants to have the good health needed for a higher quality of life, you must be proactive with taking care of your body and mind. While occasional illness may be hard to avoid, there are certain things you can do to help ensure good physical and mental health. If you want to remain healthy so you can have a happier, higher quality of life, here are some tips you can incorporate in your day to day life to help you out.
1. Get Proper Exercise. If you truly want to help you body stay healthy, you will need daily exercise. You do not have to join the gym or participate in a rigorous daily exercise plan, but it is important to get daily exercise if you want to stay healthy. Even something as easy as taking a walk around the block after dinner each night can greatly increase your odds of staying healthy.
2. Eat Right. As everyone knows, diet plays an important part in the overall health of a person’s body. Therefore, it is of the utmost importance that you eat a healthy diet if you want to remain healthy. Make sure your diet includes the recommended daily servings of fruits, vegetables and other healthy foods if you want to keep your body in good health.
3. Maintain Positive Mental Balance. The health of your mind is very important to the overall health of your body. Feeling depressed or down in the dumps on a continuous basis can have negative consequences on your health, so it is important that you try to maintain positive mental balance if you want to stay healthy.
4. Get Rest. Without proper rest, your body will not be able to stay healthy. Even if you have a very busy life, it is very important that you get at least 8 hours of sleep each night if you want to keep your body and mind healthy.
5. Eliminate Unhealthy Vices. As you probably already know, certain vices can be very bad for your health. If you smoke or do drugs, eliminating these harmful substances from your life can completely transform your health. Likewise with drinking. While it’s okay to have the occasional beer or glass of wine, excess drinking can be very bad for your health.
6. Have A Healthy Hobby. Even if you think your day is too busy to include time for a fun hobby you enjoy, including this hobby in your day to day life can be important to good health. When you make time in your day for an enjoyable hobby, you will be helping to improve your overall body and mind health.
If you want to be healthy at all times in order to have the good health needed for a higher quality of life, incorporating the above listed tips into your day to day life will help you achieve this. By getting proper exercise, eating right, eliminating unhealthy vices, having a healthy hobby, and getting the proper amount of rest each night, you can help your body and mind in positive ways that will help you remain healthy.
Have you ever felt like you need to go back to square one?
I feel like I need to go back to the beginning, to find the place where I loved and wanted to work out. To see what I saw in exercise in the beginning, to get re-motivated and refocus on what I want and what I need out of life.
I feel like this is a very common feeling for most of us at one point or another. You wake up one day and say, where did I go and how did I get so unmotivated? For me I think once I got married things got hectic, the stage of going from single to married, independent to a couple was not as easy for me as they make it look, although I never really expected it to be easy…You take on new responsibilities and have to put the other person first at all times, and it is human nature to want to be selfish, most people just simply don’t admit that. But it is also easy to go too far in putting the other person first, causing you to forget yourself.
It is easy for a relationship to reach a plateau, and then have to move forward and for you both to progress and grow you have to struggle and push and commit to working. Its a constant state of ‘we’re working on it.’ And along with that you realize, hey I gotta work on myself too…because the more you know yourself and your needs and values, hobbies, likes and dislikes, the more in-tune you can be with your significant other.
The balance of all of this is hard to establish. I find that I need to re-prioritize and get back into my normal fitness routine so that my mind can be clearer and I can be a healthier person for myself, and I believe that this will inspire my husband to do the same.
I refuse to be a person that falls into a rut and never gets out, or tries to fill spaces with things that shouldn’t be put there in the first place, because change starts with you. Admitting you need to change is the first step!
That’s enough of my bantering. Happy Monday followers, today lets all focus on moving forward and being the best we can be!
I recently discovered by stumbling upon it on Facebook on a lazy afternoon, and after a few glances I knew I was hooked. It felt like somebody finally got me! Threadflip is a place for you to sell-buy-and flip new and used vintage, and designer items. With a beautiful interface, easy uploads, and a plethora of people that will love your items, who wouldn’t want to be a part of it.
Essentially after you sign up for a Threadflip account, you upload your items to your closet in your profile, this part is completely free. From there people can love your items and then later on, hopefully buy them. You can then love others items, follow them and even shoot them a message or a comment if you have a question or two. Once your item sells, Threadflip takes 20% of the sale and the buyer pays for the $7 shipping, but right now there is no shipping cost through 12/31! Then the company emails you the shipping slip to put on your flat rate box (also free from the post office) and viola, your done! After your item is delivered to your buyer you get credit on your account to buy new stuff or you can cash out. Easy peasy!
This site is way better than any Clothes Mentor, Plato’s Closet, Beacon’s Closet etc etc etc, because at second hand stores they aren’t willing to give you the price you want for you item only a set monetary rate per what category your piece falls into. Don’t you want your item to go to someone that will love and cherish it?
Here are a few of my items I have listed currently:
Sexy Gray Dress, Vintage Moschino Vest, Kensie Dress. I mean lets be honest what girl doesnt want an excuse to dress up in clothes in her closet and take photos?
If you like my closet feel free to visit it, and for a limited time I am giving away free items to buyers who make purchases above $35.
On Halloween night me and my hubby made some fun Halloween drinks, and watched movies (we only got one trick-or-treater so we had to find something to do!) So here are some fun Halloween drinks to keep in mind for next year:
1. Halloween Horror
1 oz Vodka
2 dashes Blue Curacao
1 dash Grenadine
Fill with orange juice
2. Lady Apple Cider
1 Oz Maple syrup
1 Oz Apple cider
2 Oz Vodka
Splash of Club Soda
1 Lady Apple chopped up
3. Bloody Murder
1 1/2 Oz. Rye wiskey
1 1/2 Oz. Pomegranate juice
1 Oz. simple syrup
1/2 Oz. fresh lemon juice
And throw in a gummy worm for good luck!
1 c sugar ( I use raw cane sugar)
1/2 c butter (unsalted)
1 tsp vanilla extract ( not imitation because that can have caramel coloring which has gluten in it) if you can get apple extract go 2tsp of that instead of the vanilla
1 1/2 c Bobs Redmill all purpose gluten-free flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 c of apple cider
2-3 tsp of almond, hemp or hazelnut milk
1/4 of a big apple or 1/2 a small apple, I used honey crisp. We have a ninja blender so I simply added the slices and pulsed them up into small diced pieces
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
Should take 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees
1/3 c organic vegetable shortening
1/8 tsp salt
2 c gluten-free organic powdered sugar
2-3 tsp apple cider
1/4-1 tsp of extract depending on personal taste
To make it taste more like fall spice, I add ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. It honestly does take quite a bit of spice to get the identifiable taste of spice into the frosting, this step is a taste as you go because its all personal preference.
I got these little cupcake skewers at Marshall’s. I love that place right now because of all the little cupcake kits they have, they are too cute!
Combine equal parts cinnamon and sugar, and put in a bowl or in a shaker and dip or sprinkle one half of the frosting part of the cupcake in it. Also throw some cinnamon and sugar on a plate. Cut little apple slices. Run your finger vertically through the cinnamon and sugar on the plate so it looks like stripes then take your apple slice and press it into the stripes. Ta-da striped apples!
Put it all together and your done
Most of us know how to do crunches and push ups, we know we should do some cardio etc. But lately there seems to be a new trend in the work-out world. The not-so-normal work-out routine….
Maybe some of us have no clue that other types of workouts exist, but many I’m sure some have realized there is a change in mentality going on here, exercise that is more of a hobby than a tedious task on the to-do list. And oddly enough a lot of these types of new wave experimental exercises have been inspired by strippers, circus performers, dancers and more.
In my town aerial aerobics studios (that house classes like aerial yoga, aerial silks, cloud swing, lyra etc), pole dancing hot spots, and Zumba classes have been popping up like wildfire. I have even noticed a push towards the new in the current Under Armour commercial where a clip shows a girl doing sit-ups with an aerial hammock (or to some a cloud swing).
With all of this stuff popping up, I decided I should share my experiences of trying these exercises with you.
Trying something new never hurt anyone…..(just kidding, because you will come out a little bruised!)
I started out taking aerial hammock classes (one piece of fabric looped from one or two points), these are great for beginners, because generally the rig isn’t too high, and it is easy to get into. If you are flexible aerial classes will probably be good for you, but if you have no upper body strength, I urge you to start out at a beginner level doing aerial yoga or hammock ( these classes use the same set up). They are a good way to get you used to the general idea.
I have also tried aerial silks (two dangling pieces of fabric from one or two points), once again if you are not strong, develop strength first, because you will need to climb by wrapping your foot a certain way in the silks and use your legs to inch up while your arms hold you. I honestly wasn’t the greatest at this because when I tried I was rather weak.
My best friend is amazing at aerial, and it is so amazing to see someone do this when they have really dedicated time to it. She went from beginner to actually being in the circus in roughly two years, but she also took classes 4 or more days a week.
I have also tried Lyra or Aerial hoop, this is my favorite. It tend to be more expensive for these types of classes and honestly you either like it or you don’t It can also be dangerous because it is a large metal hoop suspended, I ended up hitting myself in the back with the hoop at one point and had a pretty large bruise Lyra truly looks beautiful and is quite burlesque when done right.
Pole dancing: I am currently taking classes in this. Most beginners find it really hard because they don’t get it right off the bat, and the footing is not always easy to get. I can do all the beginner moves even though my footing is poor because I have a lot of strength. It really takes time to get used to and it quite a challenge but is really fun. You most likely will bruise the first few times in between your legs and on the top of your dominant foot.
These types of exercises can be really fun, but on the down side can be frustrating because they can be hard to adapt to because you end up using muscles you never would, and most people do not get them right off the bat. But, if you take them as a challenge and apply your mind to them it can be such a great change from the gym because you are mentally stimulated. The classes can also be very expensive depending on where you live, especially if you are in a big city because they have had these underground pockets that have been doing this for quite some time. To save money, you may want to try to do some classes first and invest in some of the equipment for your home.
I personally am in the process of shopping for a aerial hammock, lyra, and pole for my basement, which initially is very expensive but if it is a hobby it is cheaper than taking classes which usually are upwards of a hundred dollars per session.
I would love to hear about others and their experiments with new types of classes and maybe even find out about more new wave trends that are popping! I would also love to hear from anyone that has installed any of these types of equipment in their homes, perhaps they can help me with the rigging!
To start, I am sorry to all of my followers that I haven’t posted much lately. I want you all to know that I am not going anywhere. I will be getting back into the swing of things and should be writing regularly again soon.
Things have been so crazy around here lately. I feel like I have been sucked up into some sort of whirlwind since the wedding. All the sudden it was here, and then it passed and I have no clue how it could have went so quickly. I mean honestly its September…almost October! I cannot believe this!
It has been pretty tough to adjust back to life after the Wedding and Honeymoon and all of the tasks and hype etc, and all of the rush and time flying by makes you feel like your in a dream sometimes. As you can tell by my previous post it made me question how I got here. And don’t get me wrong I am happy as a clam but sometimes it all feels a little crazy.
I wont lie, because this is my place to be honest. I haven’t really gone to the gym regularly like I did before and cant really seem to get back into a routine (especially after a honeymoon where I just did whatever I wanted and sat on the beach in Aruba lol). But I have been taking strip-fitness classes and am really loving it. I’m really good at it..who knew..maybe I was a stripper in a past life.
Anyways, I definitely need to prioritize what is important and obviously that is health (eating & fitness) or I wouldn’t have this blog lol. So, I am asking two things…one- readers who have missed me let me know if your still there and what types of information/changes/post any ideas you have for stuff you would like to see on my blog in the following months, and two-how have you made yourself get re-motivated after a period of change in your life. I would really love to hear some words of wisdom!